Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Process

Okay, finally after many days of carving at studio Corsanini I've made enough progress in the stone to show something. Still the current stage is rough. Probably the equivalent of like 10 minutes of drawing or some ridiculous thing like that. Just imagine how much longer the finishing process in  carving can be than in drawing! Well... I'd rather not so here's how it begins instead.

 
Steve, Leo, and Andrea getting ready to move the stone from the stone yard to the saw.





 Andrea and Leo placing the model on the stone in order to take more accurate measurements for cutting. This is where I think Andrea said something sassy to Leo and then Leo gave him that "I'm your boss look" I don't really know if that happened for sure because I don't speak Italian but I think I'm close.










 ...and then the first cutting happens...




 Once the stone is cut to size the carving process begins. Points (measurements) are taken from the model and marked onto the stone with what is called macchinetta di punta. This machine was perfected by the old master stone carver Antonio Canova and is still used today. It is only used when carving 1:1 This is called the indirect method to stone carving.




















  This is how it looks today after just over a week of roughing out. You can see that it is far from resolved. In Bargue's drawing method I've pretty much just started. 
 




 ...and then you go to the beach :) 


1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! Be honest... How much gelato have you eaten?

    ReplyDelete